This page contains .pdf's of APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, as well as the "out of date" Version 2.0.
One may choose to download all of APEX Calculus, or Volumes 1, 2 and/or 3, which breaks up the content into more manageable portions, aligned roughly with traditional "Calc I, II and III" courses. Volumes 1, 2 and 3 are available for purchase in grayscale print at Amazon.com, exact copies of the grayscale versions below.
- The color versions look great on a screen or printed in color.
- New to Version 3.0 is the addition of interactive, 3D graphics. These increase significantly the file sizes of the .pdfs, so color versions of the text are available with the interactivity removed. There are no 3D graphics in the content of chapters 1 - 6, so Volume 1, the "Calc 1" material, is unaffected by this.
- If you want to print a b&w (grayscale) copy, download & print the b&w versions. The graphics have been optimized for grayscale printing (see below for an explanation).
APEX Calculus, Version 3.0
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, in color with interactive graphics (77mb)
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, in color, no interactive graphics (16mb)
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, in b&w (22mb)
APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 1 (Chapters 1 - 6.1)
APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 2 (Chapters 5 - 8)
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 2, in color with interactive graphics (13 mb)
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 2, in color no interactive graphics (4 mb)
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 2, in b&w (5)
APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 3 (Chapters 9 - 13)
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 3, in color, with interactive graphics (59mb)
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 3, in color, no interactive graphics (10mb)
- APEX Calculus, Version 3.0, Volume 3, in b&w (16mb)
What's different about the b&w versions?
Printers do a fine job of printing b&w versions of color pages, though we are all familiar with the way certain detail is lost. In particular, pure blue, red and green portions of a picture are rendered in the same shade of gray. As the default pen colors of graphs in APEX Calculus are pure blue and red, each will be printed as the same shade of gray, making it difficult to distinguish which curve in a graph is which.
So when I created the graphics for the text, I produced two copies of each picture. One had a "color" color scheme, and the other had a "b&w" color scheme. The result is that the "b&w" figures look better printed on a grayscale printer than the color figures do.
Further, Definitions, Theorems and Key Ideas are printed in colored boxes in the color version to make them stand out on the page. This color turns to a blotchy shade of gray when printed on a grayscale printer. So in the b&w versions of the text, these boxes are only outlined in black
Version 2.0 Files:
Version 2.0 will be made available as long as interest is shown in them, measured via book sales and downloads. Version 3.0 is much better in many ways, fixing numerous typos and mistakes, adding examples, and improving the readability of some content and the exercises sections. I highly encourage everyone to use Version 3.0 over 2.0, but the files are here nevertheless.